Monday, August 1, 2022

Visit Mt Saint Helens

I was on a Boy Scout camping trip May 18th 1980 and remember everyone pulling out as soon as the news was heard. Last time I visited the park was in 1993 with my dad and grandparents. At that time they had recently opened the first visitor center and were working on the Johnson Ridge Observatory. I remember enjoying the trip and being amazed at the road they built to access the area for visitors. It was great seeing all of the young trees and foliage starting to take over. I am excited to return and plan on making the trip down sometime this summer. I want to do a day hike, probably the Butte Camp Trail. It’s a 7.6 mile hike with only 1,650 feet of elevation change. The trail winds through old lava flows, meadows and forest. The visitor center is a 2.5hr drive from Seattle. Open in the high season daily from 9-5 closed on holidays. Time to plan your trip

No comments: